Sunday, August 01, 2010

A Family Pulling Together

Sunday, a day we usually get up, rush around, leave separately for church, arrive late, and do our best to partake in the Spirit there, which eventually fulfills us and gives us a good boost to get through the coming week.  But today was different.

This morning I got up at 6am.  I prayed, and fell into daydreaming during my prayer.  10 minutes later, started over.   I was giving a lesson to the Relief Society women today, something I'd yet to do on a Sunday.  After I showered and dressed, Kevin came in, and we got to talk a little before the kids woke up.  He was also giving a lesson today for the young men, something he'd never done as well.  We both got ready, and then he spent 20 minutes giving his lesson to me, and listening to any suggestions or input I might have.  Then I quickly got the kids dressed, he made breakfast, and we all piled in the car.  In the car, Kevin called together a family prayer, and I said the prayer before we drove away.  We got to church 5 minutes early.  Kevin got to use his priesthood to bless the sacrament during the meeting, and I was able to bear my testimony, as it was fast and testimony Sunday.  I told of how thankful I was for a husband who loved kids and me so much, and was worthy to lead our home in righteousness.

Both of our lessons went okay.  Nothing to brag about or that will be remembered for years to come, but we were happy that we fulfilled our responsibilities anyway.  We were blessed.

The kids were well behaved all day.  We cooked all our food at home.  We were happy and patient with one another.  We had no fights, no complaints, no whining, and no tension.  We cleaned together a little, did a little laundry, watched some good shows, laughed a little, and hugged a lot.

Kevin said our family prayer tonight.  Even though the kids were climbing on his back at the time, I felt the spirit of his prayer, and felt the Lord's love in our home.  He, The Lord, was helping us, and pleased with us today.

Living and loving the Gospel as a family just feels so good.  I keep saying, "today" because of course, not every day is so peaceful here.  But we "celebrate progress, not perfection."  I give thanks to the Lord today for the Gospel that gives me a greater love for my husband and children, and Jesus Christ, who helps us improve every day.

"The ultimate end of all activity in the Church is that a man and his wife and their children might be happy at home, protected by the principles and laws of the gospel, sealed safely in the covenants of the everlasting priesthood."
President Boyd K. Packer, May 2010 Ensign, "The Power of the Priesthood" p.7

No comments:

Post a Comment